Why are teenagers (and adults) so intrigued by the occult, witchcraft and satanism?

I never read the book in the original post, but I did read a ton of witchy, occult novels geared towards young adults in my teen years. I was especially obsessed with Anne Rice (who was definitely meant for adults).

I discovered tarot as an 8th grader and bought a set but didn't like the art so decided to redraw them in a style more similar to the classic Rider-Waite tarot deck. (Reader, I did not complete that endeavor).

Ironically, my gateway into this was not Harry Potter (which was the target of a number of Christian groups because it promoted witchcraft), but the far more Christian-approved *The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe.*

I grew out of all of this by the time I was in late high school. I still enjoyed finishing reading HP7 but my interest in tarot and witches had fizzled out.

Imagine my surprise when I got to my early 30s and discovered that many of my female acquaintances were getting into tarot, astrology, and witchy spirituality. What was a passing teen phase tha

Discussing